Tuesday, June 19, 2012

DIY: Coffee Table

If your like me you probably think everything is either over priced  for what it is, just plain boring or for us to expensive to buy for our temp situation.  We have been going back and forth about getting furniture for our patio because we will be moving soon and do not want to buy twice if it doesn't work out at the new place.  I wanted to share the steps of this do it yourself built in succulent table that I made for around $50.00 (includes the wood, plants, nails, rocks, stain and brush).  I also had some wood left over and made 3 flower boxes.   
DIY Succulent Table
First you have to draft the plans and decide on the size.  Then take your measurements/plan to Home Depot and pick out the wood.  You most likely will need to make cuts depending on the size of your table.  I asked them to cut the wood for me (I do not have a power saw), they are super helpful and will actually cut it for free, its the Home Depot way!  I had left over wood, and took it with me to make flower/plant boxes.

Flower boxes (used leftover wood)
Unloaded all the materials and started constructing when you get home (see picture below).  First frame the outsides of the table, next add the top planks, middle box, table legs and last add the succulents.  I stained it after I added the succulents.  I would recommend staining first but I was not sure I wanted to and decided to stain last minute.  You can be inventive with the center box, I went with succulents surrounded by rocks (saw the idea online).  You can take them out and repurpose for an ice and drink holder for chilling your summer drinks or whatever you decide.  Make sure to leave holes in the built in box wood for watering drainage.

Our backyard patio is still a work in progress, next I am considering making cabana drapes and some fun pillows to add accent colors and comfort.  Surprisingly just by adding chairs and a table, we went from spending no time outside to spending lots of time.  We have coffee and work on the patio in the morning, and summer drinks and dinner on warm summer nights.  I am glad we decided to move forward and enjoy where we are today rather then just waiting, waiting, waiting till we move.  I'm sure the day I finish the whole project will probably be the day we get our place.  At least I can do it ALL over again! :) 

No comments: