Wednesday, July 17, 2013

HOW TO: Harvest Basil

We had HUGE organic gardens growing up, back then organic was just organic (not that I am that old!!) but chemicals were not really used.  We didn't have a crazy fancy sprinkler system so we would roll out the hose every day and water our plants, luckily there were some days when mother nature took care of that for us.  When you have a huge garden, you have to do a lot of weeding.  Which I remember not enjoying, I was into the tasting part the most. My mom has a green thumb, she grew the seeds from inception and then transplanted them to the garden when they were ready to take larger roots.  ANYWAYS... fast forward 20 years I now have container gardens but have hopes to plant a garden next spring from seeds.  My plants this year were small when I bought them and now they are over growing their containers.

All of my plants are doing exceptionally well this year.  I can attribute most of that to all the heavy rain we have been getting.  Also, to my husband picking up my slack and watering the plants when I am not able to (or to lazy to do).  Amongst all my produce, what stands out the most to me is my basil.  My native Indian plant is used in my kitchen about 4 times a week, if not more!  I wanted to share with you my secrets of harvesting this yummy plant.



Harvesting and Growing Tips
Snip leaves from the top, this gives the bottom leaves a chance for more sun.
Water EVERY day!
Give plenty of sunlight 
Flowering Basil Plant
Grow outside in warmer months
Plant mid spring (bring in if gets below 40 deg) 
Keep harvesting, it helps the plant to continue to grow--Even if you don't use it dry out and use in winter. 
Deflower; if your plant flowers, this means it is at maximum growth and will go back to seed state. (I learned that from a tree expert this weekend) Just pinch off the stems that are flowering.
If you let the plant go to seed, these seeds can be collected and planted the following season, you might want to let a few go to seed and then use them for next year.
Basil is a Perennial if it doesn't freeze, cultivate for next year by bringing in doors in early winter.



Caprese Sandwich 

Ideas for Foods with Basil 

Caprese Salad
Pizza Margarita 
Salads
Turkey Meatballs
Roast Beef, Motzerella and Basil Sandwich
Chicken Parmesan
Burgers 
Pesto
Lasagna 
Sea Food
Tomato Basil Soup
Eggs
The list goes on..... !!!

Chiken Parmesean
Caprese Salad




Health Benefits:

Helps protect white blood cells and prevents them from oxygen damage
Fights unwanted bacterial growth internally in our bodies
Adding it to uncooked foods such as salads also promotes reduction in bacteria that might be found in other veggies
Anti-Inflammatory
Promotes Cardiovascular health 
Vitamin A
Beta-Carotene 
Magnesium 
Iron
Calcium 
Potassium
Vitamin C
Tastes amazing which makes you happy and produces endorphin's (I made that one up!)

Hope you reach for the fresh basil next time your cooking!! 





No comments: